Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Dean's Favorite Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

I make several batches of these every fall, and they are my son Dean's absolute favorite.  I started with a traditional pumpkin bread recipe, eliminated the oil, subbed in some whole grains, and added chocolate...what more could you need?

1/2-3/4 c sugar...if you are trying to use less, you can get away with it if adding mix-ins or a topping
1/2 c applesauce
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
3/4 heaping cup all purpose flour
3/4 heaping cup whole wheat flour
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 t cinnamon
1 t pumpkin pie spice
1/2 c water
1 c canned pumpkin
1/2 chocolate chips

Mix dry ingredients in one bowl.  Blend applesauce, eggs and vanilla (plus agave, if using) in a second bowl.  Add dry mixture to wet, alternating with water.  Mix in pumpkin. Stir in chocolate chips.

Pour into muffin tin prepared with nonstick spray.  Bake about 20 minutes at 350.  Let cool 5-10 minutes, then remove muffins and finish cooling on wire rack.

My daughter is having a couple of girlfriends over for a Halloween playdate.  As part of the themed brunch, I am making these without chocolate chips in the batter...instead will melt them and create a spider web pattern on top!  If they turn out well I will post a photo.

Sunday, 10/30: Not bad! Although they would be cuter with a little plastic spider if I had some...

2 comments:

  1. These are delish! I'm going to make a batch without the chocolate chips since they're less messy for my toddler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try raisins, craisins, or chopped nuts if she's not allergic. Yum!

    ReplyDelete