Monday, October 24, 2011

Autumn Harvest Muffins

I am always trying to get veggies into my kids, not to mention meet my own five-a-day quota. Last week I rummaged through my freezer looking for inspiration, and came across a box of cooked winter squash puree.  Thus my Autumn Harvest Muffins were born...told the kids they taste like butterscotch, and ya know, they really kinda do.

3/4 c all purpose flour
3/4 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c oat bran (or really, whatever other finely ground grain you have on hand)
1/4 c brown sugar
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
2/3 c pureed cooked winter squash
1/2 c applesauce
1 egg
1 c buttermilk (scant cup milk with 1 T lemon juice; let sit 10 minutes)
1/2 t cinnamon

Mix dry ingredients in one bowl, wet in another, then blend till combined.  Pour into sprayed muffin tins* and bake about 20 minutes at 350.  Let cool 5-10 minutes, then remove muffins and finish cooling on wire rack.  Makes 12-14.

*Optional: cut 1.5 T butter with 1 T flour and 1.5 T brown sugar; sprinkle over batter for streusel-like topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment