Monday, March 23, 2015

Smoothie Cubes

So I have a child who doesn't like milk. It's always been this way...when she was a year old and stopped nursing, I would literally follow her around with a four ounce bottle of whole milk, trying to get her to drink it. Other children would suck down 24 ounces of the stuff a day; on a good day she'd drink six.

At age 11, she still needs a lot of calcium, so we've found some workarounds. Every morning I save a splash of coffee to add to her morning beverage and she finds that flavor much more appealing. She adores cheese, so that helps, but hates yogurt. Luckily, we finally found a lasting solution that makes everyone happy: Smoothie Cubes!

About every two weeks, my daughter and I gather 'round the blender and toss in whatever floats her boat. We always include some yogurt, a frozen banana, and milk, and beyond that it varies. (Ironically she hates bananas too, but doesn't mind them in a smoothie, and they add the best texture.)

So far we've tried:


  • peanut butter & banana
  • strawberry, banana and honey
  • pumpkin pie (we use this recipe as inspiration but do not follow exactly)
  • mango, banana and raspberry
  • and today's flavor, blueberry, pear and banana


After blending we pour the mixture into ice cube trays, cover with wax paper and freeze. The next day I pop the cubes into a ziploc. This process is much like the one I did when making baby food a million years ago and it still works.

In the morning, I put three or four cubes into a small drink container and add a couple ounces of milk. By the time lunchtime rolls around, the cubes have melted enough that when shaken, she has a smoothie ready to enjoy.

Milk, yogurt, lots of fruit and no fighting? I'll take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment